Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society recognises its responsibilities for child protection and safeguarding. The Society’s Child Protection Policy is as follows:-
- to ensure the safety and protection of all young persons under the age of 18 years who participate in any Society led activity.
- to protect the interests of the Society and its members in their dealings, work with and support for, young persons under the age of 18 years.
TO FULFILL THIS POLICY MSAS AND ITS MEMBERS WILL ADOPT THE FOLLOWING RULES AND PRACTICES
The Policy will be published and all members of the Society will be made aware of its content
- All members of the Society will be deemed to agree to abide by the rules and work within the practices.
- The Society will identify as part of this policy a member or members who will for the purposes of this policy act as Child Protection Officer/s and lead on any actions resulting from the implementation of the policy.
- Children and young people under the age of 16 years will only be allowed access to the premises or to the activities of the Society when accompanied and supervised by a parent, designated carer or another responsible adult.
- Young people over the age of 16 years and under the age of 18 years may have access to the premises and to the activities of the Society without supervision as above as long as the ‘activity leader’ or the Society member responsible at the time is satisfied that it is safe and appropriate.
- Signs will be displayed stating that all children under 16 must be supervised by an adult at all times while on society premises and that the adult must take responsibility for their safety.
- Group Visits and outreach visits to groups of children will be covered by the DBS certification of the adult/s supervising those groups and do not require members of the society to have DBS clearance themselves.
- All adults supervising visiting children or groups of children will be made aware of the health & safety and emergency procedures at the Society's premises.
- All visits to the Society will be recorded by date with the names of any Society members involved in or supporting the visit and a record of the visit/s kept by the relevant officer of the Society.
WHEN DEALING WITH YOUNG PEOPLE SOCIETY MEMBERS WILL:
- Be aware of the Society’s Policy and agree as a condition of membership to abide by the policy and its practices.
- Be ‘professional’ and maintain and model the highest standard of good conduct.
- Conduct all dealings with all young people in an open environment and in full view of others so that all behaviour can be observed.
- Never swear or use/respond to sexual innuendo.
- Be vigilant and aware of how actions or situations can be misinterpreted.
- Be aware of and avoid situations which can be misconstrued by others such as any instances of being left alone with a young person under the age of 18 as this could leave them open to the possibility of allegations about their behaviour.
- Not show undue interest in any young person.
- Be very aware that any physical contact, perhaps merely to show an operational technique, can be misconstrued by an observer, or by the under 18 year old and refrain from any physical contact unless to prevent accident or injury or administer emergency aid.
- Report any concerns within the area of child protection (physical, emotional, sexual, or neglect) in confidence and without delay to the Society’s Child Protection Officer, a member of the committee, or Social Services directly, who can give advice and recommend any necessary action.
- The policy will be reviewed annually by the committee of Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society.
Child Protection Officer - Cathy Beaumont