During the spring and summer it is too light to hold open evenings so we instead hold a number of solar viewing events both at our observatory and at events and festivals organised by other groups away from the observatory.
Join us to view the Sun through our special Solar telescopes (weather permitting).
At some events we may also set up our radio astronomy equipment that allows us to listen to the "sound" of the Sun and detect meteors.
Note - our telescopes are specially filtered for viewing the Sun. It is very dangerous to look directly at the Sun through any telescopes or binoculars that haven't been adapted, or even just looking with your eyes.
The remaining events scheduled for 2017 are:
- Saturday 2nd September: Sutton on Trent Festival.
- Sunday 10th September: Pleasley Pit Trust Open Weekend, at Pleasley Pit Country Park.
- Saturday 23rd September: Duffield Arts Festival.
For events held at our observatory:
- Entrance is free, although donations are welcomed and appreciated. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult. No advance booking.
- There will also be a rolling presentation about the Sun.
- Refreshments available.
- There is wheelchair access into the building/lecture room and disabled toilet facilities.
For events held at locations other than our observatory:
- Please contact the organising group for details of entry costs, conditions, facilities and other activities.