During the spring and summer it is too light to hold open evenings. Instead, we hold a number of solar viewing events both at our observatory and at events and festivals organised by other groups away from the observatory.
Join us to view the Sun through our special Solar telescopes (weather permitting) on Saturday 17th September from 11:00-1:15 pm & 2.00-4.15pm . In addition, you will have the opportunity to learn about our society and Astronomy in general.
This is a ticketed only event. Please do not turn up without a valid ticket & we strongly recommend to arrive 10 to 15 mins prior to your entry time. The booking link can be found here: https://tickets.msas.uk/open-
At Sherwood observatory we a have bespoke Radio Astronomy Centre. Here, you will see and understand how we can monitor space weather (from the Sun) using antenna we have on site including capturing signals from the NOAA 18 Satellite - to produce our own weather maps of the British isles. In addition, we have capability to monitor Meteors as they enter Earths atmosphere. Also, we have equipment to allow observations of Hydrogen gas that exists between the spiral arms of our own Milky-Way galaxy.
Note - our telescopes are specially filtered for viewing the Sun. It is very dangerous to look directly at the Sun through any telescopes or binoculars that haven't been adapted, or even just looking with your eyes.
For events held at our observatory:
- Opening times are 11 am - 4.15pm. Visitors must book a ticket in advance prior to arrival.
- Entrance fees are: Adults (over 16) £5, Under 16's £2 (under 16's MUST be accompanied by an adult).
- We will endevour to put on a rolling presentation about the Sun.
- Refreshments available.
- There is wheelchair access into the building/lecture room and disabled toilet facilities.
- Hand sanitiser stations are located at various points around the facility.
For events held at locations other than our observatory:
- Please contact the organising group for details of entry costs, times, conditions, facilities and other activities.