During the spring and summer it is too light to hold open evenings. Instead, we hold a number of solar viewing events both at our observatory and at events and festivals organised by other groups away from the observatory.
Join us to view the Sun through our special Solar telescopes (weather permitting) on Saturday 26th June. 11:00-1:00 pm & 1:30-3:30pm
This is a ticketed only event. Please do not turn up without a valid ticket. The booking link can be found here: https://tickets.msas.uk/
At some events we may also set up our radio astronomy equipment that allows us to listen to the "sound" of the Sun and detect meteors.
Note - our telescopes are specially filtered for viewing the Sun. It is very dangerous to look directly at the Sun through any telescopes or binoculars that haven't been adapted, or even just looking with your eyes. During times of the pandemic we are operating in accorandace with step 3 of government rules. Viewing the sun will be via a live feed from a camera attached to our dedicated telescope linked to a widescreen TV for safe viewing. Eye to eyepiece for multiple visitors is not possible at the moment.
For events held at our observatory:
- Opening times are 11 am - 4pm. Visitors must book a ticket in advance prior to arrival.
- Entrance fees are: Adults (over 16) £3, Under 16's £1 (under 16's MUST be accompanied by an adult).
- There will also be a rolling presentation about the Sun.
- Refreshments available.
- There is wheelchair access into the building/lecture room and disabled toilet facilities.
- Please bring a mask and use the hand sanitiser stations located at various points around the facility.
For events held at locations other than our observatory:
- Please contact the organising group for details of entry costs, times, conditions, facilities and other activities.